Scientist – Cell Line Development
Location: Cambridge, UK
Area: Cell Line Development
We have a vacancy for an experienced scientist to join our busy Cell Line Development team in Cambridge (UK) site. In this role you will work as part of a team on client-facing projects and have the opportunity to learn new techniques in a fast-paced but supportive environment.
Abzena provides the most complete set of solutions in integrated early discovery to mid-phase biotherapeutic and ADC drug development services in the pharmaceutical industry. Working with companies and academic groups all over the world, including most of the top 20 biopharmaceutical companies, Abzena supports the development and manufacture of better treatments for patients. Multiple antibodies which have been created using Abzena’s technologies are currently being progressed through clinical development by our partners.
At Abzena we recognise the importance of learning within teams and actively encourage staff to coach and mentor others, in order to pass on knowledge and develop the skills of more junior staff.
In return, we can offer you a competitive salary and benefits package and a collaborative, varied and challenging environment where you will be encouraged to step outside your comfort zone and develop your career.
The Scientist role will involve working as part of a small team within the larger Cell Line Development group in order to generate mammalian cell lines for the expression and manufacture of therapeutic proteins. The work will involve many different techniques in the generation of high-quality cell lines and purified protein and there is the opportunity for the right candidate to develop a wide range of skills. The role will also include the preparation of data for inclusion in reports and the presentations of data and findings and assisting in the drafting and review of laboratory protocols and work instructions. The selected candidate will be expected to be able to demonstrate an ability to independently design and carry out routine experiments and to manage their own time effectively. Opportunities will arise to contribute to the planning and development of complex experiments and investigate new techniques as well as to gain some supervisory experience. The candidate will be responsible for the quality of their own work and should be able to demonstrate a strong work ethic and good attention to detail.
The ideal candidate will be expected to have:
- MSc in a life science subject or equivalent experience
- At least 2 years relevant experience in the field of recombinant protein expression and familiarity with mammalian cell culture, preferably CHO cells, including routine passage and transfection of cells for recombinant protein expression
- Knowledge and experience of chromatographic techniques involved in protein purification, particularly using AKTA/Unicorn purification systems.
- Additional experience of basic cloning techniques, PCR, DNA sequence analysis, SDS/PAGE ELISA or flow cytometry would be an advantage
- An ability to approach experimental planning in logical and scientific manner and carry out routine experiments
- Demonstrate ability to manage their own time effectively and produce work of a high quality within defined timeframe
- Be a committed team player able to work well within small teams or individually as well as contribute to the wider team
- Excellent ICT skills including familiarity with specialist software as necessary
- Skills in drafting documents in clear and grammatically correct English
- Experience of working in a defined quality environment would be an advantage
- Eligibility to work in the UK.