Manager – Cell Line Development
Location: Cambridge, UK
Area: Cell Line Development
Your Vision. Our Mission. For Patients.
We are Abzena. We are a responsible and dedicated Partner Research Organisation (PRO) that takes care of products from concept to patient.
With extensive experience in developing biologics and bioconjugates, we offer a seamless service delivered by fully integrated teams, from early discovery to commercial manufacturing.
Forward-thinking and committed, we find the best solution and use the right technologies to design, develop and manufacture your products to ensure we get vital medicines to patients quickly and safely.
We are dedicated to quality excellence. We are driven to get better treatments to market, efficiently and responsibly by reducing timelines and delivering the highest quality products and services.
We have a vacancy for an experienced scientist to join our busy Cell Line Development team in Cambridge (UK) as a Scientific Manager. In this lab-based role you will be leading a team on client-facing projects from the outset with the opportunity to develop and enhance managerial skills and learn new techniques from experienced colleagues in a fast-paced but supportive environment and, in turn, contribute to the broader success of the team and company.
Abzena provides the most complete set of solutions in integrated early discovery to mid-phase biotherapeutic and ADC drug development services in the pharmaceutical industry. Working with companies and academic groups globally, including most of the top 20 biopharmaceutical companies, Abzena supports the discovery, development and manufacture of better treatments for patients.
The role will involve leading a small team, within the larger Cell Line Development group, in order to generate mammalian cell lines for the expression and manufacture of therapeutic proteins. Candidates will be expected to be able to demonstrate a broad knowledge of biological sciences with an emphasis on cell line development. The selected candidate will be required to independently manage and deliver individual projects as well as prepare and review reports, whilst managing their own and others work schedule. The role will also involve generation and presentation of data and findings within the company as well as to clients and assisting in the drafting and review of laboratory protocols and work instructions.
The candidate will be responsible for the quality of their own work and should be able to demonstrate a strong work ethic and good attention to detail.
In return, we can offer you a competitive salary and benefits package and a collaborative, varied and challenging environment where you will be encouraged to step outside your comfort zone and develop your career.
You must have eligibility to work in the UK.
- Masters or PhD degree in life science subject, OR Lower level of qualification AND extensive relevant experience, including routine passage of cells and transfection of cells for recombinant protein expression, preferably using CHO cells
- Experience with automation and high-throughput technologies as applied to mammalian cell line generation and cell line development (e.g. Ambr systems, Liquid handling, etc.)
- Good communication skills are essential and experience with leading a smaller team of scientists and managing stakeholders (e.g clients) is an advantage
- High level of attention to detail, be organized, proactive and independent
- Committed team player able to work well within small teams or individually as well as contribute to the wider group
- Plan, manage experiments and resource to deliver cross-group and cross site-programmes
- Prepare and review reports and presentations, and be responsible for the production of reports
- Review data from junior staff
- Author and/or review Quality and Controlled documents
Diversity, inclusion and belonging
Abzena for everyone; bring your whole self to work.
You belong. Building an inclusive culture that fosters, empowers, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees, we embrace your thoughts, experiences, and talents. It is our belief that the more inclusive we are, the better we work.
We’re an inclusive employer, and we care about diversity in our teams. Let us know in your application if you have accessibility requirements during the recruitment process.
We put people first, understanding your needs and respecting your rights. This includes respecting your rights to data protection, as protected in law. We’ll always conduct our work with your privacy in mind. This means collecting as little personal data as possible, storing it securely and being clear about how we’ll use it.