The Vice President of Business Development manages business development and sales activities, including the solutions for biopharma companies provided by Abzena to achieve sales and revenue goals. These include specific Abzena capabilities such as mammalian biologics development and manufacture of material for clinical trials through Phase III and small-scale commercial manufacturing. Other Abzena capabilities include humanization, protein engineering, cell line development, immunology services, bioanalytical and bioassay services and chemistry and bioconjugation, including Antibody Drug Conjugation (ADC).
- Identify new leads and opportunities for all business units
- Nurture and growing opportunities with established clients
- Provide solutions to clients to help ensure their success in getting their product developed and manufactured to provide therapies or reagents for patients
- Generate proposals for leads identified, while working with Proposal Writers, Project Managers and Scientific Technical Leads, where required, and negotiating and closing deals relating thereto with appropriate input from Legal and Senior Executives, where required
- Build relationships and partnerships with third parties who are using any of Abzena’s services or technologies to maximise commercial opportunities
- Use of marketing plans and materials relevant to sales and operations
- Present the company and its technologies at both technical and business based meetings and conferences
- Identify opportunities for strategic relationships with academic and commercial organisations to embed Abzena’s capabilities as primary service and technology provider
- Develop plans for selling activities associated with responsibilities highlighted above to achieve goals
- Identify market led opportunities to extend Abzena’s service offerings and to ensure that the current offerings remain competitive
- Maintain current knowledge of competitor technologies and internally disseminate their strengths and weaknesses, development status and company relationships
- Understand and assist with cross-selling of other in-house service and technology areas as required
- Assist Chief Business Officer to generate accurate sales forecasts for use by Finance, CEO and Abzena Board
- Collaborate with other members of the BD, Scientific Project Leaders, Tech Teams, Proposal Managers and other functions to maximize potential for client and Abzena success
- Update of Salesforce CRM system weekly with sales forecasts, client interaction reports and other data
- Provide input into optimizing ways of working to ensure it is undertaking in the most efficient and effective manner
- Network within the biopharma business to expand business opportunities
- Operate to the highest ethical and moral standards.
- Comply with Abzena’s policies and procedures.
- Communicate effectively with clients, supervisors, colleagues and staff.
- Participate effectively as a team player in all aspects of Abzena’s business.
- Adhere to quality standards set by regulations and Abzena policies, procedures, and mission.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications/ Skills Required:
- Minimum 10 years demonstrated successful CDMO sales experience, preferably in biologics or chemistry
- BS degree or Masters in Life Sciences, or related areas
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience with CRM, Microsoft Office suite software
- Experience delivering on sales forecasts
- Proven ability to negotiate high value, complex contracts to close
Travel between Abzena sites (Bristol PA, San Diego CA and Sanford NC) as needed.