Your Vision. Our Mission. For Patients.
Abzena provides the most complete set of solutions in integrated early discovery to mid-phase biotherapeutic and ADC drug development services in the pharmaceutical industry. Working with companies and academic groups all over the world, Abzena supports the development and manufacture of better treatments for patients. Multiple antibodies which have been created using Abzena’s technologies are currently being progressed through clinical development by our partners.
The Senior Director of Project Management reports to the site head and is responsible for managing the site-wide project and programme portfolio by providing strategic leadership to the local Project Management Office (PMO). Activities include but are not limited to: programme and project management, planning and executing on the delivery of a high frequency of highly differentiated projects (individual and integrated), systems; process and efficiency improvements; budget development and administration, client relations, and staff management/development. This role serves on the site leadership team and collaborates with senior leadership to ensure alignment on Abzena strategy, goals and initiatives. The Senior Director of Project Management will form and maintain alliances with internal stakeholders, clients and the c suite to ensure optimal effectiveness across the organization.
- Work collaboratively with clients, the site leadership team, senior management, cross-functional and cross site teams to define project strategy, scope, milestones, and deliverables to support business objectives.
- Work with the site head, scientific and operational leadership to build and maintain strong relationships with key customers, identifying and supporting their growing requirements for Abzena’s services.
- Lead the site Project Management group to deliver on schedule and provide project progress reports and portfolio dashboards to the Site Head.
- Develop, hire, manage and train a team of project managers and technical program managers to lead site activities and client projects, in alignment with line functions and in support of client and company objectives.
- As a member of the site leadership team and the head of the site PMO, ensure consistency and seamless delivery of services, processes and best practices within site and between sites.
- Serve as the lead for the PMO and maintain positive client relationships and communication.
- Partner with Finance to actively develop the portfolio budget and identify potential efficiencies with the team.
- Develop and manage systems and processes for project/programme management and transfer knowledge across sites. Creating and leading a program management community of best practice.
- Supporting the tech team with a mindset and behaviours that focus on efficiency and innovation in the use of Abzena’s common platforms such as IFS. To simplify the administrative requirements to enable all stakeholders’ needs are met. Stakeholders include Finance, Operations and BD.
- Harmonise between a dedicated programme/project management function and the tech leads to shape a coherent and effective team with successful outcomes.
- Align the program management structure against Abzena’s business model and Cambridge site-specific strategic objectives.
- Lead site implementation of project planning, budgeting, and action plans to successfully accomplish company’s goals.
- Manage and continuously improve a project manager allocation process to ensure optimal distribution of project management support across all of the site’s project portfolio – working with the heads of technical operations to leverage the role of technical project leads to cover the large number of active projects that the site manages at any one time.
- Track, adjust and report milestone deliverables to the site leadership, including but not limited to: issue resolution, on time delivery, price and costs.
- Lead governance meetings highlighting risks and mitigation plans.
- Negotiate, settle claims, document agreements and any changes to the statement of work.
- Provide oversight of all financial aspects of projects including but not limited to ERP system activities, invoicing, cost control, revenue recognition, forecasting, profitability, change management, material tracking and procurement.
- Review Abzena platforms and provide feedback to IT to improve efficiency and innovation.
- Partner with Finance to develop project budgets including but not limited to: review cost/price analysis’, pressure test and align assumptions in the forecast, ensuring transparency and communication of the approved plan and funding status of activities.
- Communicate all changes, plans and goals to partnering functions.
- Facilitate kick-off meetings and JTM content.
- Operate to the highest ethical and moral standards and participate effectively as a team player in all aspects of Abzena’s business and adhere to quality standards set by regulations and Abzena policies, procedures, and mission.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications/ Skills Required:
- MS in Life Science or related field
- 15+ years experience in development of biologics, or antibody drug conjugates and broad knowledge of all aspects of early-stage drug development, analytical development, formulation and drug product technologies.
- 10+ years project management experience, leading multiple complex projects/programs and leadership of staff
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a client facing position.
- Knowledge of project management best practices and proficiency with supporting project management tools.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in both individual and group settings.
- Excellent Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to organize, lead, and execute on a variety of assignments and action plans.
- A solid understanding and experience of the drug development process and technical requirements for early development.
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, managing budgets and inventory management.
- Current industry knowledge of relevant regulations, guidelines, policies and CMC requirements.
Our Total Rewards program is designed to meet the needs of our employees and their families.
- Health Benefits – supporting you with robust and comprehensive programs
- Life Plans – protecting you with life insurance
- Retirement Schemes – contributing to Workplace Pensions
- Paid Time Off – offering up to 25 days
- Education Assistance – developing your skills and knowledge to pioneer new thinking
- Employee Referral Program – rewarding you for referring brilliant people
- Discretionary Bonus Scheme
Diversity, inclusion and belonging:
Abzena for everyone; bring your whole self to work.
You belong. Building an inclusive culture that fosters, empowers, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees, we embrace your thoughts, experiences, and talents. It is our belief that the more inclusive we are, the better we work.
We’re an inclusive employer, and we care about diversity in our teams. Let us know in your application if you have accessibility requirements during the recruitment process.
We put people first, understanding your needs and respecting your rights. This includes respecting your rights to data protection, as protected in law. We’ll always conduct our work with your privacy in mind. This means collecting as little personal data as possible, storing it securely and being clear about how we’ll use it.