About the role
We are looking for a Synthetic Chemist who wants to make a difference – we want you to work in our dynamic, ambitious and fast-paced labs and to be challenged in ways that bring the very best out of you. In our supportive environment, you will be an indispensable member of the technical team and integral to your role is working with our partners including world-leading biopharmaceutical companies and academic institutions across many therapeutic areas. Our labs are state of the art, the capabilities are diverse and innovative and we are recognised as world experts.
The Bioconjugation Chemistry Group in Abzena Cambridge (UK) provides synthetic chemistry and conjugation solutions to support partner antibody drug conjugate (ADC), oligonucleotide conjugate, PEGylation and other bioconjugate development programs. Using building blocks and late-stage intermediates for rapid synthesis of linker-payloads and established conjugation chemistries as well as its next-generation conjugation platform ThioBridge® with access to a wide range of cargo’s, we design and produce complex linker-payloads and ADCs evaluated with support from the Design and Developability Groups for lead candidate selection.
Ideally, you will have a BSc or MSc in Organic Chemistry or Medicinal Chemistry or a related science discipline with strong laboratory skills and at least 2 years experience in an industrial environment, or PhD in a relevant discipline. Relevant skills required include an in-depth understanding of organic chemistry and reactions mechanisms, ability to design synthetic routes and proven track record of practical research experience with multi-step synthetic chemistry, ideally applied to the preparation of linker-payloads, purification using automated systems (Gilson and Reveleris flash chromatography and preparative HPLC), and analytical characterisation techniques such as column chromatography (RP-HPLC), LC-MS and NMR. As a confident IT user, you will be familiar with MS Office, and specialist software including Chromeleon, Unify, MassLynx and ChemDraw and Reaxys. You will have an understanding of the ADC field including the drug development process.
You will be able to work both independently and as part of a team, have good planning and organising skills. In addition, you will have a high level of attention to detail and be able to identify and analyse and resolve routine problems. You will demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing, keeping team and management informed. You will contribute to the group development effort undertaking research.
In return, we can offer you a competitive salary and benefits package and a collaborative, varied and challenging environment where you will be encouraged to step outside your comfort zone and develop your career.
- To independently design and carry out routine and complex experiments as necessary
- To perform complex/novel techniques with supervision
- Perform routine interpretation of analytical results
- Keep accurate records and document experimental results in electronic lab notebooks
- To manage own work schedule to ensure tasks are met within the expected timeframe
- To analyse and interpret own data, and be responsible for the quality of own work
- Keep line manager and Group Director informed of work progress in a timely fashion
- To prepare data for and to contribute to the drafting of reports
- Prepare presentations and present results at internal meetings and client meetings
- To draft and contribute to Quality and Controlled documents
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proactive independent attitude with a positive nature
- A good team player with flexibility and willingness to adapt to change
- To undertake any other duties relevant to the position and level
Our Total Rewards program is designed to meet the needs of our employees and their families. Competitive salaries and benefits will vary by country and are based on local standards.
- Health Benefits – supporting you with robust and comprehensive programs
- Life and Disability Plans – protecting you with life insurance
- Retirement Schemes – contributing to Workplace Pensions
- Paid Time Off – offering up to 25 days
- Education Assistance – developing your skills and knowledge to pioneer new thinking
- Employee Referral Program – rewarding you for referring brilliant people
We are Abzena. We are a responsible and dedicated Partner Research Organisation (PRO) that takes care of products from concept to patient.
With extensive experience in developing biologics and bioconjugates, we offer a seamless service delivered by fully integrated teams, from early discovery to commercial manufacturing. Forward-thinking and committed, we find the best solution and use the right technologies to design, develop and manufacture your products to ensure we get vital medicines to patients quickly and safely. We are dedicated to quality excellence. We are driven to get better treatments to market, efficiently and responsibly by reducing timelines and delivering the highest quality products and services.
In our labs at Abzena, we work at the cutting edge of drug discovery and make life-changing decisions every day. It is our mission to design and develop drug candidates and realise the vision of our partners in bringing transformational therapies to patients.
Diversity, inclusion and belonging
Abzena for everyone; bring your whole self to work.
You belong. Building an inclusive culture that fosters, empowers, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees, we embrace your thoughts, experiences, and talents. It is our belief that the more inclusive we are, the better we work.
We’re an inclusive employer, and we care about diversity in our teams. Let us know in your application if you have accessibility requirements during the recruitment process.
We put people first, understanding your needs and respecting your rights. This includes respecting your rights to data protection, as protected in law. We’ll always conduct our work with your privacy in mind. This means collecting as little personal data as possible, storing it securely and being clear about how we’ll use it.