Upstream Production Associate
Location: San Diego, CA
- Assist the PD Lead Associates, Associate Scientists, and Scientists with the development work to develop scalable and robust processes on accelerated timelines.
- Perform manufacturing and process development activities for projects and products in collaboration with others.
- Assist with technical transfer of upstream manufacturing processes from clients and between Process Development and Manufacturing groups.
- Assist in scale-up calculations for varying scales of the process – up to cGMP scale.
- Assist in cell culture protein production using aseptic techniques
- As needed, assists in protein production under cGMP standards for clinical trial material.
- Capable of making media and buffers following protocols and procedures.
- Assists in production-scale cell culture operations for protein production and manufacturing of final products.
- Assists in the documentation of observations and collecting data for analysis. Capable of data management.
- Conduct activities in support of production schedules and objectives as directed by senior staff.
- Maintains records to comply with regulatory requirements and assists with in-process testing.
- Maintain lab organization and cleanliness by regularly stocking supplies and managing supply inventory.
- Assemble and autoclave tubing assemblies.
- Knowledge of quantitative analytical methods.
- Represents departmental activities as needed, including project teams, training, and evaluation of new technologies
- Operates to the highest ethical and moral standards.
- Complies with Abzena’s policies and procedures.
- Adheres to quality standards set by regulations and Abzena policies, procedures and mission.
- Communicates effectively with supervisors, colleagues and subordinates.
- Ability to participate effectively as a team player in all aspects of Abzena’s business.
- Travels as needed to attend professional conferences, and train on new technologies.
- AA/AS or BA/BS degree that included laboratory work in a chemistry, biology, chemical engineering or related field plus 1-3 years in a laboratory environment.
- Basic knowledge of protein production.
- Skill with single-use technologies or cell culture parameters (for various cell lines) and nutrient requirement in shaker flasks and disposable bioreactors up to 500 L for production.
- Skill with Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to follow detailed instructions and to maintain accurate records and notes.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to successfully perform multiple tasks, when required.
- Skills in problem solving and troubleshooting.
- Ability to safely operate production equipment in accordance with established practices.