Sr Director, Scientific Project Leaders
Location: San Diego, CA
The Senior Director, Scientific Project Leaders is responsible for providing technical and CMC regulatory leadership and guidance across the Abzena portfolio, including proposal generation, cross-site programs, and with key partners: Business Development, Alliance and Program Management, Research and Development, including both Early and Late Stage, Operations, and Quality. The Senior Director will be responsible for ensuring scientific input is provided during proposal generation and to project teams, as needed, while working collaboratively with clients and key partners to ensure forward progression of projects. Working as part of the Scientific Leadership group and in partnership with Abzena stakeholders the Sr Director will enhance Abzena’s technical capabilities from Early Development to Commercial production. The incumbent will serve as a principal point for contact for clients.
- Through the Scientific Project Leaders model provides support to successfully accomplish company’s projects and goals.
- Provides input for to the strategic planning effort to helps shape corporate strategy
- Provides technical guidance to proposal generation, particularly in area of expertise.
- Reviews project proposals for technical soundness, and feasibility, particularly in area of expertise
- In partnership with other functions, reviews pricing models for proposals.
- To communicate effectively with the client including providing advice and solutions
- Assists Finance and Alliance and Program Management in concert with the ERP system in designing cost & pricing models that accomplish projects on time and on budget
- Develops and works with teams on the evaluation of new molecule designs, developability assessments, DoEs, process improvements, and new technologies.
- Helps guide tech transfers processes between sites or within sites.
- Collaborates with Alliance & Program Management, and Quality globally to successfully deliver products for regulatory approval and commercial launch
- Provides technical and regulatory leadership to ensure an effective and compliant environment for current and upcoming processes
- Provides a science-based approach for the resolution of deviations, investigations, and process issues
- Recommends strategies for improving molecules, technologies, quality, productivity, and yields. (titers).
- Ensures that quality is maintained, safety procedures, and company guidelines are followed
- Represents departmental activities as needed, including project teams, task forces, audits and business or technical meetings with outside groups.
- Participates in development of effective working relationships with both internal and external partners.
- Maintain client relationships through combination of telephone, teleconference, and onsite visits.
- Supports multiple projects simultaneously.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Operates to the highest ethical and moral standards.
- Complies with Abzena’s policies and procedures.
- Adheres to quality standards set by regulations and Abzena policies, procedures and mission.
- Communicates effectively with colleagues and subordinates.
- Provides administrative leadership and knowledge-based expertise in related areas that can be applied to meeting the strategic goals.
- Travels as needed.
- Ph.D. in a Science Related or Engineering field or an M.Sc. with additional experience
- Minimum of seven (7) years senior level experience (10 yrs if MSc only) in Development and/or cGMP manufacturing.
- Knowledgeable of all aspects of Biologics and/or Chemistry development, analytical and GMP Manufacturing. Deep knowledge in the specified area of expertise.
- Strong leadership and communication skills and a demonstrated ability to develop constructive and effective relationships with clients, colleagues and senior management
- Ability demonstrate sound judgement and problem-solving capabilities with exceptional interpersonal skills
- Proven track record of drug discovery, development and manufacture with extensive CMC and GLP/GMP knowledge and experiences
- Experience with developing and executing strategic plans for pre-BLA, Process Validation activities, and product launch activities.
- Solid Financial and Business Acumen; LEAN knowledge desired
- Previous CMO/CRO experience in biomanufacturing environment an asset.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills in scientific and business communications and presentations