Senior Scientist / Scientific Manager – Bioassay
Location: Cambridge, UK
We have a vacancy for a Senior Scientist / Scientific Manager (depending on experience) to join the Bioassay group at our Cambridge (UK) site. In this role you will work as part of a motivated and collaborative team of twenty scientists on a large variety of client-facing projects and have the opportunity to learn new techniques and management skills in a fast-paced but supportive environment.
Abzena provides the most complete set of solutions from integrated discovery to mid-phase biotherapeutic and ADC drug development services in the pharmaceutical industry. Working with a varied range of customers from academic groups, small biotech and big pharma and on a diverse range of drug types from antibodies, fusion proteins and bioconjugates, Abzena supports the development and manufacture of better treatments for patients. In the Bioassay team, we support clients with assays for lead selection, mode of action studies, Fc-mediated effector functions, safety and immunogenicity as well as manufacturing support, and run a constantly changing diverse range of projects.
As a Senior Scientist / Scientific Manager you will be responsible for independently running projects, in some cases involving leading a small team of scientists. You will be required to lead assay development work independently, with support from colleagues, as needed, troubleshoot and suggest alternative and innovative ways forward, provide critical and constructive views. You will communicate with clients on a regular basis, prepare presentations and reports, and be responsible for timely and high-quality delivery of results. Projects you will be involved in include a wide range of off-the-shelf cell-based functional assays (see website for details), as well as custom assay development using platforms such as high-content flow cytometry, Incucyte® live cell imaging, Luminex® immunoassays and various fluorescence and luminescence plate-based assays.
At Abzena we recognise the importance of learning within teams and actively encourage staff to coach and mentor others, passing on their knowledge and expanding their skills.
In return, we can offer you a competitive salary and benefits package and a collaborative, varied and challenging environment where you will be encouraged to step outside your comfort zone and develop your career.
The ideal candidate will be expected to have:
- Masters or PhD degree in life science subject, OR Lower level of qualification AND extensive relevant experience.
- Experience with isolating, maintaining and passaging both primary cells and cell lines, and setting up biochemical (e.g. ELISA) and cell-based assays (e.g. proliferation, cytotoxicity, internalization, signalling, immunophenotyping, cytokine release) using fluorescence or luminescence plate-based methods, flow cytometry or fluorescence microscopy.
- Excellent skills in assay design, troubleshooting, data analysis and presentation.
- Good communication skills are essential and experience with leading a smaller team of scientists, and managing stakeholders (e.g. clients) is an advantage.
- High level of attention to detail, be organized, proactive and independent.
- Be a committed team player able to work well within small teams or individually as well as contribute to the wider group.
- Eligibility to work in the UK.