Senior Scientist / Project Leader
Location: Cambridge, UK
Area: Protein Engineering
We have a vacancy for an experienced protein engineer to join our busy Protein Engineering team in Cambridge (UK). In this lab-based role you will be working as part of a team on client-facing, short-term projects from the outset and have the opportunity to learn new techniques in a fast-paced and supportive environment.
Abzena provides the most complete set of solutions in integrated early discovery to mid-phase biotherapeutic and ADC drug development services in the pharmaceutical industry. Working with companies and academic groups all over the world, including most of the top 20 biopharmaceutical companies, Abzena supports the development and manufacture of better treatments for patients. Multiple antibodies which have been created using Abzena’s technologies are currently being progressed through clinical development by our partners.
You will have a PhD or MSc (or a lower level of qualification and relevant experience) in molecular biology or similar area, ideally with experience in an industrial or commercial environment. You will have an in-depth understanding of, and practical research experience with biologics and, in particular, antibodies. Relevant skills required include having a broad practical knowledge of protein engineering techniques, mammalian expression systems and protein purification and characterisation techniques. Knowledge of, and experience with analytical techniques including Biacore (including T200 and / or 8K models) and Octet for measuring biomolecular interactions is essential.
You will be able to work both independently and as part of a team, have good planning and organising skills and be confident in the use of IT, especially MS Office and specialist software including DNAStar Lasergene and Biacore Evaluation software.
In addition, you will have a high level of attention to detail and be able to identify and analyse routine and complex problems and resolve routine issues. You will be proactive and independent, with a high level of autonomy and initiative.
In return, we can offer you a competitive salary and benefits package and a collaborative, varied and challenging environment where you will be encouraged to step outside your comfort zone and develop your career.
You must be eligible to work in the UK.
- To independently design and carry out routine experiments as necessary
- To perform more complex science under limited supervision
- To contribute to the planning/development of complex experiments
- To prepare data for, and contribute to reports and presentations
- To attend and contribute to internal meetings
- To analyse and interpret own data
- To be responsible for the quality of own work
- To draft and contribute to Quality and Controlled documents
- To undertake any other duties relevant to the position and level
- To manage own work schedule to ensure tasks are met within the expected timeframe