Senior Manager – Protein Engineering
Location: Cambridge, UK
Area: Protein Engineering
In our labs at Abzena, we work at the cutting edge of drug discovery and make life-changing decisions every day. It is our mission to design and develop drug candidates and realise the vision of our partners in bringing transformational therapies to patients.
We have a vacancy for an experienced scientist to join our busy Protein Engineering team in Cambridge (UK). In this primarily lab-based role you will be leading client-facing projects with the opportunity to enhance managerial skills and learn new techniques from experienced colleagues in a fast-paced but supportive environment and, in turn, contribute to the broader success of the team and company.
Abzena provides the most complete set of solutions in integrated early discovery to mid-phase biotherapeutic and ADC drug development services in the pharmaceutical industry. Working with companies and academic groups globally, including most of the top 20 biopharmaceutical companies, Abzena supports the discovery, development and manufacture of better treatments for patients.
You will have a PhD (or a lower level of qualification and relevant experience) in molecular biology, biochemistry or similar area, with significant experience in biologics discovery & development in an industrial or commercial environment. You will be expected to have in-depth practical research experience and understanding of biologics, and in particular, antibodies. You should be able to demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of protein engineering techniques (for example, humanisation and Fc engineering), mammalian expression systems and protein purification and characterisation techniques.
You will have experience of leading and successfully delivering client projects within timelines and budget. You will be proactive, adaptable and independent, with a high level of autonomy and initiative. You will be expected to have good planning and organisational skills as well as a high level of attention to detail. You should be confident in the use of IT, especially MS Office and DNA sequence analysis software (e.g. DNAStar Lasergene).
There is the expectation of line management and the selected candidate will be expected to show leadership through developing both the scientific and personal skills of line reports. At Abzena, we also recognise the importance of learning within teams and actively encourage staff to coach and mentor others, in order to pass on knowledge and develop the skills of more junior staff.
In return, we can offer you a competitive salary and benefits package and a collaborative, varied and challenging environment where you will be encouraged to step outside your comfort zone and develop your career.
- To manage multiple client sponsored projects or studies in order to deliver in a timely fashion.
- To independently design and carry out routine and complex experiments as necessary for project delivery.
- To prepare and review reports and presentations, and be responsible for the production of reports
- To attend, contribute and, if necessary, lead internal and external meetings
- To work with others to deliver cross-group and cross-site programmes
- To deliver innovation
- To effectively manage line reports and provide guidance and support associated with both their scientific and personal development
- To be responsible for the scheduling work and for quality of their own and team members work.
- To draft and contribute to Quality and Controlled documents
- To undertake any other duties relevant to the position and level
- To contribute to group/company development effort