Senior Manager – Affinity Maturation
Location: Cambridge, UK
Area: Protein Engineering
We have a vacancy for an experienced molecular/phage biologist to join our busy Protein Engineering team in Cambridge (UK). In this lab-based role you will be leading client-facing projects with the opportunity to enhance managerial skills and learn from experienced colleagues in a fast-paced but supportive environment.
Abzena provides the most complete set of solutions in integrated early discovery to mid-phase biotherapeutic and ADC drug development services in the pharmaceutical industry. Working with companies and academic groups all over the world, including most of the top 20 biopharmaceutical companies, Abzena supports the development and manufacture of better treatments for patients. Multiple antibodies which have been created using Abzena’s technologies are currently being progressed through clinical development by our partners.
We are looking for a candidate with significant experience in affinity maturation using phage display to support our Discovery and Development pathway. You will have a proven track record of delivering lead candidates, and of establishing and improving affinity maturation protocols from library design through to candidate selection and screening. Experience with other display techniques would be advantageous, although not essential.
You will have a PhD or MSc (or a lower level of qualification and relevant experience) in molecular biology or similar area, with experience in an industrial or commercial environment. You will also be expected to have an in-depth understanding of, and practical research experience with biologics, and in particular antibodies. Other relevant techniques include the use of mammalian expression systems and protein purification and characterisation techniques.
You will be able to work both independently and as part of a team, have good planning and organising skills and be confident in the use of IT, especially MS Office and DNA sequence analysis software (e.g. DNAStar Lasergene). In addition, you will have a high level of attention to detail and be able to identify, analyse and resolve routine and complex problems. You will be proactive, adaptable and independent, with a high level of autonomy and initiative.
There is the opportunity to progress line management and coaching skills as the selected candidate will be expected to show leadership through application of their scientific knowledge.
In return, we can offer you a competitive salary and benefits package and a collaborative, varied and challenging environment where you will be encouraged to step outside your comfort zone and develop your career.
- To manage multiple client sponsored projects or studies in order to deliver in a timely fashion.
- To independently design and carry out routine and complex experiments as necessary
- To prepare and review reports and presentations, and be responsible for the production of reports
- To work with others to deliver cross-group and cross-site programmes
- To deliver innovation
- To effectively manage line reports and provide guidance and support associated with both their scientific and personal development
- To be responsible for the scheduling work and for quality of their own and team members work.
- To draft and contribute to Quality and Controlled documents
- To undertake any other duties relevant to the position and level
- To contribute to group/company development effort