Senior Facilities Mechanic
This position is responsible for the continuous operation of the Abzena San Diego campuses and associated utilities. This function requires a detailed understanding of cGMP practices and procedures. Computerized systems will be utilized to oversee routine maintenance and organize repairs. Daily interaction with other professionals to improve production facilities, reduce the incidence of costly breakdowns and develop strategies to improve overall reliability and safety of plant, personnel and production processes is required. This position is required to perform routine maintenance duties including rough carpentry, painting, and basic equipment or facility repairs. All carpentry, electrical work, or simple plumbing repairs are performed by qualified personnel under appropriate supervision.
Typical Duties Include:
- Control the daily operation of all mechanical equipment in the physical plant and buildings.
- Management and operation of the Building Management System (BMS)
- Perform maintenance and repairs to the Mechanical, Plumbing, Fire, Life, Safety, and Control systems for the facility to keep these systems current with applicable standards.
- Monitor operation and maintain refrigeration, water cooling and air conditioning equipment, boilers, heating, ventilating and hot water equipment, pumps, valves, piping and filters, other mechanical and electrical equipment.
- Perform preventative maintenance tasks in a timely manner.
- Schedule and monitor the quality of maintenance work performed by outside contractors.
- Evaluate building systems to improve performance for efficient operation.
- Responds accordingly to after-hours building alarms.
- Actively participates in emergency response procedures, technical and safety training programs.
- Perform all work using the proper safety equipment and in a safe manner.
- Draft, review and update facilities and engineering Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s)
- Perform other related functions delegated or assigned.
- Operates to the highest ethical and moral standards.
- Complies with Abzena’s policies and procedures.
- Adheres to quality standards set by regulations and Abzena policies, procedures and mission.
- Communicates effectively with supervisors, colleagues and staff.
- Ability to participate effectively as a team player in all aspects of Abzena’s business.
- Travels as needed between sites and to attend professional conferences and train on new technologies.
- Minimum High School Diploma.
- Typically, 5 to 10 years experience in facilities maintenance and physical plant operations, preferably in the cGMP and Biotechnology industry; and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Prefer 3-5 years experience working in a laboratory environment.
- Ability to quickly learn to operate and maintain all systems of a physical plant.
- Experience in HVAC equipment and operations.
- Experience with Building Management Systems (BMS)
- Knowledge of structural, mechanical, hydraulic, and electrical systems.
- Diverse knowledge of inspection and control methods, techniques and documentation.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
- Strong computer skills including design applications, word processing, spreadsheets, computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS) and databases.
- Thorough understanding of general safety requirements.
- Knowledge of Water for Injection (WFI) systems
- Must have knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Power Point and Excel.
- Must have the ability to multitask, prioritize, and finish projects and tasks within deadlines
- Must be a self-motivated, organized and adaptable