Scientist, Cell Line Development UK
Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom
Area: Cell Line Development
Cell Line Development Scientist
Position provides an excellent opportunity to develop your skills and gain new experience in a small team which is growing in significance within the company, for these roles, you will need to be able to independently design and carry out routine experiments. You will have the opportunity to contribute to the planning and development of complex experiments and investigate new techniques.
In this role you will be working as part of a small team within the larger Cell Line Development group to generate mammalian cell lines for the expression and manufacture of therapeutic proteins. You will be undertaking gene cloning, sequence analysis, mammalian cell culture, transfection, protein purification and analysis, under limited supervision and within tight timelines.
You will also prepare data for inclusion in reports and presentations within the company and assisting in the drafting and review of laboratory protocols and work instructions.
You will be familiar with aseptic techniques.
Role Purpose, Main Duties and Responsibilities
To undertake research within the Cell Line Development Group under limited supervision, to support the timely delivery of customer projects. The role will involve working as part of a small team within the larger Cell Line Development group in order to generate mammalian cell lines for the expression and manufacture of therapeutic proteins. The work will involve many different skills including gene cloning, sequence analysis, mammalian cell culture, transfection, protein purification and analysis, under limited supervision and within tight timelines. The role will require the preparation of data for inclusion in reports and the presentations of data and findings within the company and assisting in the drafting and review of laboratory protocols and work instructions.
Candidates will be expected to be able to demonstrate an ability to independently design and carry out routine experiments and to manage their own time effectively. Opportunities will arise to contribute to the planning and development of complex experiments and investigate new techniques as well as to gain some supervisory experience. The candidate will be responsible for the quality of their own work and should be able to demonstrate a strong work ethic and good attention to detail.
Essential Qualifications and skills
- Masters degree in life science subject, OR
- Lower level of qualification AND relevant experience in mammalian cell culture and cell line development
- Excellent ICT skills, including specialist software as necessary
Professional and Technical Expertise
- Broad knowledge of molecular and cell biology
- Good experience of mammalian cell culture, including routine passage of cells and transfection of cells for protein production, preferably using CHO cells
- Experience of basic analytical techniques including ELISA and SDS/PAGE. Flow cytometry and kinetic binding assay experience would be an advantage
- Experience of protein purification using affinity chromatography. Familiarity with other chromatographic techniques would be an advantage
- Experience of basic cloning techniques, PCR and DNA sequence analysis
- Able to undertake evaluation of routine data
- A committed team player able to work well within small teams or individually as well as contribute to the wider team
- A track record in delivering defined work packages to tight deadlines
- A desire to work closely within a small team and effectively supervise, coach and mentor junior staff
Planning and Organisation
- Able to plan and manage own time effectively in order to perform tasks as directed within the required timeframe
- Able to approach experimental planning in logical and scientific manner
- Able to present data to team meetings
- Able to draft documents in clear and grammatically correct English
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Focused to achieve results
- Able to identify and analyse routine and complex problems and issues
- High level of attention to detail
- Proactive and independent
- Flexible and adaptable with a positive approach to change
Desirable Skills & Qualifications
- Practical experience of working in an R&D environment
- Experience of contributing to research reports, publications or other relevant outputs
- A good understanding of the research environment in industry