Location: Cambridge, UK
Area: Cell Line Development
We have a vacancy for an experienced purification lead scientist to join our busy Cell Line Development team in Cambridge (UK). In this lab-based role you will be leading client-facing projects with the opportunity to develop managerial skills and learn new techniques from experienced colleagues in a fast-paced but supportive environment.
Abzena provides the most complete set of solutions in integrated early discovery to mid-phase biotherapeutic and ADC drug development services in the pharmaceutical industry. Working with companies and academic groups all over the world, including most of the top 20 biopharmaceutical companies, Abzena supports the development and manufacture of better treatments for patients. Multiple antibodies which have been created using Abzena’s technologies are currently being progressed through clinical development by our partners.
You will have a PhD or MSc (or a lower level of qualification and relevant experience) in protein sciences or similar area, with experience in an industrial or commercial environment. You will be expected to have an in-depth understanding of, and practical research experience with biologics. In particular, the candidate should be able to demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of protein purification strategies and concepts such as column packing and column chromatography. In addition, expertise in operating AKTA systems and writing AKTA methods as well as quantitative and qualitative analytical methods and interpretation of analytical data. Knowledge of, and experience with upstream processes is advantageous.
You will be able to work both independently and as part of a team, have good planning and organising skills and be confident in the use of IT. In addition, you will have a high level of attention to detail and be able to identify, analyse and resolve routine and complex problems. You will be proactive, adaptable and independent, with a high level of autonomy and initiative.
There is the opportunity to develop line management and coaching skills as the selected candidate will be expected to show leadership through application of their scientific knowledge.
In return, we can offer you a competitive salary and benefits package and a collaborative, varied and challenging environment where you will be encouraged to step outside your comfort zone and develop your career.
- PhD in a life science subject or equivalent experience
- You will have extensive relevant experience in protein purification, with expert understanding of chromatography techniques e.g., affinity/IEX/HIC for routine mAb purification and method development for novel biological therapeutics.
- A track record that demonstrates the ability to plan and manage experiments and resources
- Experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams and delivering cross-group projects
- Skills in the preparation and review of reports and presentations, taking responsibility for the quality of both internal and external presentations
- Willingness to learn and contribute to the development of Abzena’s technologies and capabilities
- A proactive and independent attitude with an ability to use their initiative and sound scientific knowledge to identify, analyse and resolve project issues as they arise
- Excellent interpersonal, networking and communications skills, some line management, coaching or mentoring experience would be an advantage
- Good ICT skills including familiarity with specialist software as necessary
- Strong work ethic and good attention to detail
- Eligibility to work in the UK.