Location: Cambridge, UK
Area: Cell Line Development
Cell Line Development – Scientific Lead
We have a vacancy for an experienced scientist to join our busy Cell Line Development team at our Cambridge (UK) site as a Scientific Lead. In this role you will be leading a team of Scientists working on client-facing projects with the opportunity to develop managerial skills and learn new techniques from experienced colleagues in a fast-paced but supportive environment.
The Scientific Lead role will involve leading a small technical team, within the larger Cell Line Development group, in order to generate mammalian cell lines for the expression and manufacture of therapeutic proteins. Candidates will be expected to be able to demonstrate a broad knowledge of biological sciences with an emphasis on mammalian cell culture and protein expression. The selected candidate will be required to independently plan and manage their own time and the work of the project team with a focus on the delivery of high-quality science in a timely manner. There is the opportunity to develop line management and coaching skills as the selected candidate will be expected to show leadership through application of their scientific knowledge. The role will also involve presentation of data and findings and assisting in the drafting and review of laboratory protocols and work instructions.
In return, we can offer you a competitive salary and benefits package and a collaborative, varied and challenging environment where you will be encouraged to step outside your comfort zone and develop your career.
The ideal candidate will be expected to have:
- PhD in a life science subjector or equivalent experience
- At least 4 years relevant experience in mammalian cell culture and cell line development, preferably using CHO cells, including routine passage and transfection of cells for recombinant protein expression
- Knowledge and experience of chromatographic techniques involved in protein purification
- A track record that demonstrates the ability to plan and manage experiments and resources
- Experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams and delivering cross-group projects
- Skills in the preparation and review of reports and presentations, taking responsibility for the quality of both internal and external presentations
- Willingness to learn and contribute to the development of Abzena’s technologies and capabilities
- A proactive and independent attitude with an ability to use their initiative and sound scientific knowledge to identify, analyse and resolve project issues as they arise
- Excellent interpersonal, networking and communications skills, some line management, coaching or mentoring experience would be an advantage
- Good ICT skills including familiarity with specialist software as necessary
- Strong work ethic and good attention to detail
- Eligibility to work in the UK.