Research Scientist – Analytics Group
Location: Cambridge, UK
We have a vacancy at scientist level for a protein biochemist/chemist in our busy Analytics group in Cambridge (UK). This is a lab-based role in which you will be working as part of a team on client-facing projects and will have the opportunity to learn new techniques in a fast-paced but supportive environment.
Abzena provides the most complete set of solutions in integrated early discovery to mid-phase biotherapeutic and ADC drug development services in the pharmaceutical industry. Working with companies and academic groups all over the world, including most of the top 20 biopharmaceutical companies, Abzena supports the development and manufacture of better treatments for patients. Multiple antibodies which have been created using Abzena’s technologies are currently being progressed through clinical development by our partners.
To support the company’s biotherapeutic research activities the Analytics lab in Cambridge is equipped with state-of-the-art instrumentation including UPLC chromatography, microfluidics capillary electrophoresis, dynamic light scattering platforms, and high-resolution Q-TOF, high sensitivity TOF, and Orbitrap mass spectrometers.
You will have a minimum of a BSc in protein biochemistry or similar area, ideally with experience in an industrial or commercial environment. An in-depth understanding of protein analytics coupled with practical research experience is essential for this role. We would be interested to hear from candidates with experience of protein formulation or protein degradation pathway research. You will be able to work both independently and as part of a team, have good planning and organising skills and be confident in the use of IT, especially MS Office.
In addition, you will have a high level of attention to detail and be able to identify and analyse routine and complex problems and resolve routine issues. You will be proactive, adaptable and independent, with a high level of autonomy and initiative.
At Abzena we recognise the importance of learning within teams and actively encourage staff to coach and mentor others, in order to pass on knowledge and develop the skills of more junior staff.
In return, we can offer you a competitive salary and benefits package and a collaborative, varied and challenging environment where you will be encouraged to step outside your comfort zone and develop your career.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Professional / Technical
- Performing routine laboratory assays in support of client-based projects.
- Carrying out tasks accurately and following strict methodologies (SOPs, or WI).
- Preparing samples, buffers and solvents for HPLC and other assays.
- Performing standard HPLC and capillary electrophoretic assays for complex protein samples.
- Performing routine interpretation of complex analytical data sets.
- Assisting the setting up of new offerings involving formulation development, and in silico manufacturability assessment through ex vivo serum stability.
- Ensuring the laboratories are well-stocked and resourced.
- Recording and interpreting results to present to senior lab members.
- Keeping up to date with technical developments.
- Conducting searches on identified topics relevant to the research.
- Following and ensuring strict safety procedures and safety checks.
Interpersonal / Team
- To keep their supervisor and Group Leader informed of work progress in a timely fashion.
- To proactively support other laboratory scientists.
- To attend and contribute to relevant meetings.
- To manage their own work and tasks.
Systems / Procedures
- To ensure that responsibilities identified within internal processes, such as Health and Safety guidelines and SOPs, are robustly met by all research team members and that such processes are reviewed in a timely fashion.
- To draft SOPs.
- To keep accurate records and document all research findings in accordance with company policy.
- Minimum of a BSc. degree in Protein Biochemistry or a related science discipline together with relevant laboratory experience.
- Experience in an industrial environment, or PhD in a relevant discipline.
- In-depth knowledge of protein analytics including CE-SDS, CZE, SEC-HPLC, reversed phase HPLC, and cation exchange HPLC.
- Knowledge or experience of biopharmaceutical formulation development or antibody degradation pathways.
- Application of light scattering technologies to protein characterisation.
Skills & Knowledge
- Excellent technical skills.
- Ability to plan own work in order to meet the project objectives in a timely fashion.
- Ability to exercise a high level of initiative.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to identify and analyse routine problems and issues.
- A good understanding of the research environment in biotech and pharma industry.
- Adaptable and proactive independent attitude.
- Good team player with a positive nature.