(Senior) Research Scientist – Protein Engineering
We have a vacancy for an experienced molecular biologist to join our busy Protein Engineering team in Cambridge (UK). In this lab-based role you will be working as part of a team on client-facing projects from the outset and have the opportunity to learn new techniques in a fast-paced but supportive environment.
Abzena provides the most complete set of solutions in integrated early discovery to mid-phase biotherapeutic and ADC drug development services in the pharmaceutical industry. Working with companies and academic groups all over the world, including most of the top 20 biopharmaceutical companies, Abzena supports the development and manufacture of better treatments for patients. Multiple antibodies which have been created using Abzena’s technologies are currently being progressed through clinical development by our partners.
You will have a MSc (or a lower level of qualification and relevant experience) in molecular biology or similar area, ideally with experience in an industrial or commercial environment. You will have an in-depth understanding of, and practical research experience with biologics and, in particular, antibody engineering using phage display (including scFv library design and construction, antigen screening and reformatting of scFv to whole IgG). You will be able to work both independently and as part of a team, have good planning and organising skills and be confident in the use of IT, especially MS Office and DNA sequence analysis software (e.g. DNAStar Lasergene).
In addition, you will have a high level of attention to detail and be able to identify and analyse routine and complex problems and resolve routine issues. You will be proactive, adaptable and independent, with a high level of autonomy and initiative.
At Abzena we recognise the importance of learning within teams and actively encourage staff to coach and mentor others, in order to pass on knowledge and develop the skills of more junior staff.
In return, we can offer you a competitive salary and benefits package and a collaborative, varied and challenging environment where you will be encouraged to step outside your comfort zone and develop your career.
- To independently design and carry out routine experiments as necessary
- To perform more complex science under limited supervision
- To contribute to the planning/development of complex experiments
- To prepare data for, and contribute to reports and presentations
- To attend and contribute to internal meetings
- To analyse and interpret own data
- To be responsible for the quality of own work
- To draft and contribute to Quality and Controlled documents
- To undertake any other duties relevant to the position and level
- To manage own work schedule to ensure tasks are met within the expected timeframe