Project Leader, Protein Engineering
Location: Cambridge, UK
Area: Protein Engineering
We have a vacancy for an experienced molecular biologist to join our busy Protein Engineering team in Cambridge (UK). In this lab-based role you will be leading client-facing projects with the opportunity to develop managerial skills and learn new techniques from experienced colleagues in a fast-paced but supportive environment.
Abzena provides the most complete set of solutions in integrated early discovery to mid-phase biotherapeutic and ADC drug development services in the pharmaceutical industry. Working with companies and academic groups all over the world, including most of the top 20 biopharmaceutical companies, Abzena supports the development and manufacture of better treatments for patients. Multiple antibodies which have been created using Abzena’s technologies are currently being progressed through clinical development by our partners.
You will have a PhD or MSc (or a lower level of qualification and relevant experience) in molecular biology or similar area, with experience in an industrial or commercial environment. You will be expected to have an in-depth understanding of, and practical research experience with biologics. In particular, the candidate should be able to demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of protein engineering techniques, mammalian expression systems and protein purification and characterisation techniques. Knowledge of, and experience with analytical techniques including Biacore (including T200 and / or 8K models) and Octet for measuring biomolecular interactions is advantageous.
You will be able to work both independently and as part of a team, have good planning and organising skills and be confident in the use of IT, especially MS Office and DNA sequence analysis software (e.g. DNAStar Lasergene). In addition, you will have a high level of attention to detail and be able to identify, analyse and resolve routine and complex problems. You will be proactive, adaptable and independent, with a high level of autonomy and initiative.
There is the opportunity to develop line management and coaching skills as the selected candidate will be expected to show leadership through application of their scientific knowledge.
In return, we can offer you a competitive salary and benefits package and a collaborative, varied and challenging environment where you will be encouraged to step outside your comfort zone and develop your career.
- To manage client sponsored projects or studies in order to deliver in a timely fashion.
- To independently design and carry out routine and complex experiments as necessary
- To prepare and review reports and presentations, and be responsible for the production of reports
- To attend, contribute and if necessary, lead internal meetings
- To analyse and interpret own data
- To be responsible for the quality of own work
- To draft and contribute to Quality and Controlled documents
- To undertake any other duties relevant to the position and level
- To manage own work schedule to ensure tasks are met within the expected timeframe
- To contribute to group/company development effort