Group Leader – Bioassay
Location: Cambridge, UK
We have an exciting new opportunity in our rapidly growing partner research organisation in the drug development sector. As a group leader in our Bioassay team in Cambridge (UK) you will be responsible for Abzena’s functional bioassay service line, managing delivery of bioassay objectives for multiple client and internal projects, and leading an excellent team of scientists.
Abzena provides the most complete set of solutions in integrated discovery to mid-phase biotherapeutic and ADC drug development services in the pharmaceutical industry. Working with a diverse range of customers from academic groups, small biotech and big pharma on a diverse range of drug types from antibodies, fusion proteins and bioconjugates, Abzena supports the development and manufacture of better treatments for patients.At Abzena we recognise the importance of learning within teams and actively encourage staff to coach and mentor others, and pass on knowledge and develop the skills of our staff.
In return, we can offer you a competitive salary and benefits package and a collaborative, varied and challenging environment where you will be encouraged to step outside your comfort zone and develop your career.
This role will work in close collaboration with our Group Leader for the immunogenicity & safety service area to provide the operational and strategic directions to the Bioassay group. More specifically, in this position you will be responsible for improving existing processes (e.g. quality standards, project deliverables, method standardisation, H&S procedures, cross-group/site communication), providing training/mentoring and assessing new technologies/equipment with the aim to improve the overall efficiency of the group and the value that we offer our customers. You will act as the expert in the bioassay field both with our customers and internal stakeholders and be responsible for the scientific rigor of any communication. The Group Leader will also champion Bioassay in cross-business initiatives, such as the implementation of an ERP system, the efficient management of resources and equipment or the standardisation of our Proposal-to-Project workflow.
The ideal candidate will be expected to have:
- MSc in a life science subject or equivalent professional experience in a suitable R&D environment.
- At least 5 years relevant R&D experience, preferably in industry and most preferably from the service sector, in the field of cell biology, oncology and/or immunology, ideally with experience of working with biologics, including antibody drug conjugates (ADCs).
- Advanced knowledge of biochemical and cell-based assays (e.g. plate-based, flow cytometry, fluorescence microscopy) and their use from HTP screening to late stage biological characterisation of lead molecules.
- Experience of working in a defined quality environment or in a contract research organisation (CRO) would be a strong advantage.
- A high attention for detail and experience of managing significant and complex projects across a large team.
- Proactive and independent, with a high level of autonomy and initiative.
- Adaptable, with a positive approach to collaborating with and managing people.
- Excellent ICT skills including familiarity with specialist software as necessary.
- Able to present data in a clear and concise manner to large external audiences, and to produce documents to a high standard.