Facilities Maintenance Technician
Location: San Diego, CA
Area: Facilities / Maintenance
This position is responsible for the continuous operation of the Abzena San Diego campuses
and associated utilities. This function requires a detailed understanding of cGMP practices and
procedures. Computerized systems will be utilized to oversee routine maintenance and
organize repairs. Daily interaction with other professionals to improve production facilities,
reduce the incidence of costly breakdowns and develop strategies to improve overall reliability
and safety of plant, personnel and production processes is required. This position is required to
perform routine maintenance duties including rough carpentry, painting, and basic equipment
or facility repairs. All carpentry, electrical work, or simple plumbing repairs are performed by
qualified personnel under appropriate supervision.
Typical Duties Include:
- Control the daily operation of all mechanical equipment in the physical plant and
- Perform maintenance and repairs to the Mechanical, Plumbing, Fire, Life, Safety, and
Control systems for the facility to keep these systems current with applicable standards.
- Monitor operation and maintain refrigeration, water cooling and air conditioning
equipment, boilers, heating, ventilating and hot water equipment, pumps, valves, piping
and filters, other mechanical and electrical equipment.
- Perform preventative maintenance tasks in a timely manner.
- Monitor the quality of maintenance work performed by outside contractors.
- Evaluate building systems to improve performance for efficient operation.
- Periodically act as the on-call engineer for the portfolio of office buildings.
- Actively participates in emergency response procedures, technical and safety training
- Perform all work using the proper safety equipment and in a safe manner.
- Perform other related functions delegated or assigned.
- Operates to the highest ethical and moral standards.
- Complies with Abzena’s policies and procedures.
- Adheres to quality standards set by regulations and Abzena policies, procedures and
- Communicates effectively with supervisors, colleagues and subordinates.
- Ability to participate effectively as a team player in all aspects of Abzena’s business.
- Travels as needed to attend professional conferences, and train on new technologies.
- Minimum High School Diploma.
- Typically, five (5) years experience in facilities maintenance and physical plant operations,
preferably in the cGMP and Biotechnology industry; and/or training or equivalent
combination of education and experience.
- Prefer 2-3 years experience working in a laboratory environment.
- Ability to quickly learn to operate and maintain all systems of a physical plant.
- Experience in HVAC equipment and operations.
- Knowledge of structural, mechanical, hydraulic, and electrical systems.
- Diverse knowledge of inspection and control methods, techniques and documentation.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).\
- Strong computer skills including design applications, word processing, spreadsheets and
- Thorough understanding of general safety requirements.
- Must have knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Power Point and Excel.
- Must have the ability to multi task, prioritize, and finish projects and tasks within
- Must be a self-motivated, organized and adaptable
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to frequently lift and
or move objects up to 50 pounds. Must have the ability to stand/walk during entire length of
shift. Use of arms, hands and fingers to handle, feel or reach. Ability to climb, balance, stoop,
kneel, crouch, or crawl. Visual abilities include close, distance, color, peripheral, depth and
ability to focus.