Scientist I – Cell Line Development
Location: Cambridge, UK
Area: Cell Line Development
Working with world-leading biopharmaceutical companies and academic institutions across many therapeutic areas, Abzena offers a suite of complementary services and technologies to enable the development and manufacture of novel biopharmaceuticals. A position has become available that provides an excellent opportunity to develop your skills and gain new experience in a small team which is growing in significance within the company. You will have the opportunity to contribute to the planning and development of complex experiments and investigate new techniques.
In this role you will be working in a close team within the larger Cell Line Development group to generate mammalian cell lines for the expression and manufacture of therapeutic proteins. You will be undertaking gene cloning, sequence analysis, mammalian cell culture, transfection, protein purification and analysis, under limited supervision and within tight timelines.
You will also prepare data for inclusion in reports and presentations within the company and assisting in the drafting and review of laboratory protocols and work instructions.
You will be familiar with aseptic techniques.
Role Purpose & Main Duties and Responsibilities
The role will involve working as part of a small team, within the larger Cell Line Development group, in order to generate mammalian cell lines for the expression and manufacture of therapeutic proteins. Candidates will be expected to be able to demonstrate a broad knowledge of biological sciences with an emphasis on molecular and cell biology. The selected candidate will be required to perform experiments under supervision and prepare the resulting data for inclusion in reports or presentations to customers. There is an opportunity to learn many different skills including gene cloning, sequence analysis, mammalian cell culture, transfection, protein purification and analysis. The role may also involve presentation of data and findings within the company and assisting in the drafting and review of laboratory protocols and work instructions.
The candidate will be responsible for the quality of their own work and should be able to demonstrate a strong work ethic and good attention to detail.
Essential Qualifications and skills
- First degree in a life science subject, OR
- Lower level of qualification AND relevant experience in mammalian cell culture and cell line development
- Good ICT skills including familiarity with specialist software as necessary
Professional and Technical Expertise
- Background knowledge of molecular and cell biology
- Experience of mammalian cell culture, including routine passage of cells and transfection of cells for recombinant protein expression, preferably using CHO cells
- Experience of basic cloning techniques, PCR and DNA sequence analysis
- Experience of basic analytical techniques including ELISA and SDS/PAGE. Knowledge of flow cytometry and kinetic binding analysis would be an advantage
- Experience of protein purification using affinity chromatography. Familiarity with other chromatographic techniques would be an advantage
- Able to undertake evaluation of routine data
- A committed team player able to follow detailed instructions and accurately report results
- A track record in delivering defined work packages to tight deadlines
Planning and Organisation
- Able to plan and manage own time effectively in order to perform tasks as directed within the required timeframe
- Able to accurately present data to manager and in team meetings
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Focused to achieve results
- Able to identify and analyse routine problems and issues
- Good attention to detail
- Proactive and independent
- Flexible and adaptable with a positive approach to change
Desirable Skills & Qualifications
- Experience of working in an R&D environment
- Experience of working in a defined quality environment
- An understanding of the research environment in industry