Analytic Scientist, Bioanalytics UK
Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom
The Analytics Group in Abzena Cambridge provides analytical solutions and developments concerning all areas of research in Abzena, such as antibody and ADC characterisation, determination of critical quality attributes of biopharmaceuticals, stability indicating assays or protein-formulation screening, immuno-peptidomics and cellular proteomics. Our labs in Cambridge are equipped with state-of-the-art analytical instrumentation such as UPLC chromatography, microfluidics capillary electrophoresis and LC-MS, including high resolution Q-TOF, high sensitivity TOF, and Orbitrap mass spectrometers, as well as light scattering instrumentation for biophysical stability measurements.
An exciting position has arisen within the group at Scientist level for an analytical protein biochemist/chemist who will help us deliver analytical tasks for customer projects as well as more high-throughput tasks in a supporting role for the more complex analytical processes in the laboratory. In addition, the candidate will support proposed new technology initiatives around formulation development and immuno-peptidomics. The ideal candidate will have a background in protein biochemistry or chemistry with an interest in mass spectrometry or protein analytics or protein stability and formulation development.
The right candidate for this role will be a good team player with a positive nature. They will be adaptable with a proactive independent attitude.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Professional / Technical
- Performing routine laboratory assays to internal as well as client based projects.
- Carrying out tasks accurately and following strict methodologies (SOPs, or WI).
- Preparing samples, buffers and solvents for HPLC and MS assays.
- Performing standard HPLC and MS assays for complex protein and peptide samples.
- Constructing, maintaining, calibrating standard laboratory equipment such as HPLC and MS – an excellent knowledge of this equipment is essential.
- Performing routine interpretation of complex analytical data sets.
- Assisting the setting up of new offerings involving formulation development, and in silico manufacturability assessment through ex vivo serum stability.
- Ensuring the laboratories are well-stocked and resourced.
- Recording and interpreting results to present to senior lab members.
- Keeping up to date with technical developments.
- Conducting searches on identified topics relevant to the research.
- Following and ensuring strict safety procedures and safety checks.
Interpersonal / Team
- To keep their supervisor and Group Leader informed of work progress in a timely fashion.
- To proactively support other laboratory scientists.
- To attend and contribute to relevant meetings.
- To manage their own work and tasks.
Systems / Procedures
- To ensure that responsibilities identified within internal processes, such as Health and Safety guidelines and SOPs, are robustly met by all research team members and that such processes are reviewed in a timely fashion.
- To draft SOPs.
- To keep accurate records and document all research findings in accordance with company policy.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s or Masters degree in Protein Biochemistry/Chemistry or related science discipline
- Experience in an industrial environment, or PhD in a relevant discipline.
- Knowledge or experience of peptide mapping using mass spectrometry.
Skills & Knowledge
- Excellent technical skills.
- Ability to plan own work in order to meet the project objectives in a timely fashion.
- Ability to exercise a high level of initiative.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to identify and analyse routine problems and issues.
- A good understanding of the research environment in biotech and pharma industry.
- Adaptable and proactive independent attitude.
- Good team player with a positive nature.