We have a vacancy at scientist II level for a protein biochemist to join our busy Analytics group in Cambridge (UK). In this lab-based role you will be working as part of a team on client-facing projects and will have the opportunity to learn new techniques in a fast-paced and supportive environment.
Abzena provides the most complete set of solutions in integrated early discovery to mid-phase biotherapeutic and ADC drug development services in the pharmaceutical industry. Working with a varied range of customers from academic groups, small biotech and big pharma and on a diverse range of drug types from antibodies, fusion proteins and bioconjugates, Abzena supports the development and manufacture of better treatments for patients.
The Analytics group in Abzena Cambridge (UK) provides analytical solutions and developments concerning all areas of research in Abzena, such as antibody and ADC characterisation, determination of critical quality attributes of biopharmaceuticals, forced degradation stability studies, formulation development, immuno-peptidomics and cellular proteomics. To support Abzena’s biotherapeutic research activities the Analytics lab in Cambridge is equipped with state-of-the-art instrumentation including UHPLC chromatography, microfluidics capillary electrophoresis, dynamic light scattering platforms, and high-resolution Q-TOF, high sensitivity TOF, and Orbitrap mass spectrometers.
Ideally, you will have a PhD or an MSc (or a lower level of qualification and relevant experience) in Protein Biochemistry/Chemistry or related science discipline with strong laboratory skills and experience in an industrial or commercial environment. Relevant skills required include an understanding of protein analytics coupled with practical research experience of analytical characterisation techniques such as column chromatography (HIC, SEC, IEX), UV-Vis spectrophotometry, microfluidics (CE-SDS, CZE) and LC-MS. As a confident IT user, you will be familiar with MS Office, and specialist software including Chromeleon, Unifi, or MassLynx. A good understanding of the application of protein analytics in biotherapeutic drug development and experience of bead-based affinity capture assays is desirable.
You will be able to work both independently and as part of a team, have good planning and organising skills. In addition, you will have a high level of attention to detail and be able to identify and analyse and resolve routine and complex problems. You will be proactive and independent, with a high level of autonomy and initiative. You will demonstrate ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing, keeping team and management informed. You will contribute to the group development effort undertaking advanced research, undertaking client projects and interactions in a professional manner.
- To design and carry out routine and complex experiments as necessary
- To perform complex/novel techniques under supervision
- To manage own work schedule to ensure tasks are met within the expected timeframe
- To analyse and interpret your own data
- To be responsible for the quality of your own work
- To prepare data for, contribute to the drafting of reports and presentations
- To contribute to internal and client meetings
- To draft and contribute to Quality and Controlled documents
- To undertake any other duties relevant to the position and level
Our Total Rewards program is designed to meet the needs of our employees and their families.
- Health Benefits – supporting you with robust and comprehensive programs
- Life Plans – protecting you with life insurance
- Retirement Schemes – contributing to Workplace Pensions
- Paid Time Off – offering up to 25 days
- Education Assistance – developing your skills and knowledge to pioneer new thinking
- Flexible Work Arrangements – balancing your personal life with your role
- Employee Referral Program – rewarding you for referring brilliant people
- Discretionary Bonus Scheme
Diversity, inclusion and belonging
Abzena for everyone; bring your whole self to work.
You belong. Building an inclusive culture that fosters, empowers, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees, we embrace your thoughts, experiences, and talents. It is our belief that the more inclusive we are, the better we work.
We’re an inclusive employer, and we care about diversity in our teams. Let us know in your application if you have accessibility requirements during the recruitment process.
We put people first, understanding your needs and respecting your rights. This includes respecting your rights to data protection, as protected in law. We’ll always conduct our work with your privacy in mind. This means collecting as little personal data as possible, storing it securely and being clear about how we’ll use it.