We have a vacancy for an experienced Principal Scientist I / II to join our busy Antibody Discovery team in Cambridge (UK). In this lab-based role you will be working as part of a team with a particular focus on updating our existing processes and implementing state-of-the-art mAb discovery technologies.
Abzena provides the most complete set of solutions in integrated early discovery to mid-phase biotherapeutic and ADC drug development services in the pharmaceutical industry. Working with companies and academic groups globally, including most of the top 20 biopharmaceutical companies, Abzena supports the discovery, development and manufacture of better treatments for patients.
You should have significant industrial experience of current state-of-the-art antibody discovery technologies including the implementation and use of high throughput single B cell cloning strategies using e.g. the Berkeley Lights Beacon system, as well as repertoire analysis using both NGS and Sanger sequencing methods. You should also be very familiar with associated screening workflows and data analysis in addition to possessing a deep knowledge of B cell biology, humoral immunity and immunoglobulin genetics.
You will have a PhD (or a lower level of qualification and relevant experience) in immunology, molecular biology or similar area. You will have an in-depth understanding of, and practical research experience of antibody discovery within a biotech / pharma environment. You will have a proven track record of successfully evaluating and implementing new discovery technologies, including B cell technologies. Experience with protein engineering techniques, including relevant molecular biology skills as well as experience of using mammalian expression systems (including HEK and/or CHO) for recombinant protein expression and subsequent purification is highly desirable.
You will be proactive, adaptable and independent, with a high level of autonomy and initiative. You will be expected to have good planning and organisational skills as well as a high level of attention to detail. You should be confident in the use of IT, especially MS Office and DNA sequence analysis software (e.g. DNAStar Lasergene).
At Abzena we recognise the importance of learning within teams and actively encourage staff to coach and mentor others, in order to pass on knowledge and develop the skills of more junior staff.
In return, we can offer you a competitive salary and benefits package and a collaborative, varied and challenging environment where you will be encouraged to step outside your comfort zone and develop your career.
- To work with the team to build out and optimize the B cell cloning platform using Berkeley Lights Beacon based technologies for mAb based workflows including integration of the cloning and sequencing protocols to enable fast and efficient lead discovery.
- Help to establish NGS related workflows for discovery including preparing samples and managing NGS based analysis through state-of-the-art tools for deep understanding and performance of campaigns.
- Work with data analysis tools to ensure thorough evaluation of datasets and information based next step decision making, in addition to summarizing and presenting findings internally and to external stakeholders.
- To draft and contribute to Quality and Controlled documents
- Independently design, develop and execute research protocols and contribute to multiple projects, in parallel.
- Demonstrate pro-activity through identifying areas to improve efficiency, perform technology development to bring new innovation to the team, where appropriate.
- To manage own work schedule to meet program and team needs.
We are Abzena. We are a responsible and dedicated Partner Research Organisation (PRO) that takes care of products from concept to patient.
With extensive experience in developing biologics and bioconjugates, we offer a seamless service delivered by fully integrated teams, from early discovery to commercial manufacturing.
Forward-thinking and committed, we find the best solution and use the right technologies to design, develop and manufacture your products to ensure we get vital medicines to patients quickly and safely.
We are dedicated to quality excellence. We are driven to get better treatments to market, efficiently and responsibly by reducing timelines and delivering the highest quality products and services.
Diversity, inclusion and belonging
Abzena for everyone; bring your whole self to work.
You belong. Building an inclusive culture that fosters, empowers, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees, we embrace your thoughts, experiences, and talents. It is our belief that the more inclusive we are, the better we work.
We’re an inclusive employer, and we care about diversity in our teams. Let us know in your application if you have accessibility requirements during the recruitment process.
We put people first, understanding your needs and respecting your rights. This includes respecting your rights to data protection, as protected in law. We’ll always conduct our work with your privacy in mind. This means collecting as little personal data as possible, storing it securely and being clear about how we’ll use it.